IMPACT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) ON OFFICE PROFESSIONALS
Background of the Study
Today’s office business, professional or Government is in a state of change. This change is reflected in the office structure and office positions from entry level to Executive Office Manager Level. Hence attention is now given to what the office does and the way in which office activities can be accomplished in an efficient and an effective way an office manager is responsible for the smooth operation of the day-to-day business of the company, a good office manager makes it possible for other people to function efficiently. Office managers work closely with the company partners, owner, or president to meet their company’s staffing, equipment, and organizational needs. Duties may include pricing products from vendors, interviewing job applicants, managing payroll, and reimbursing members of the firm for out-of-pocket business expenses, and so the need for information technology had to come into play as information technology has replaced the traditional equipment used by an office manager to perform his tasks.
Montgomerie (2004), defines information technology as the handling of vocal, pictorial, textual and numerical Information by means of micro-electronic based equipment in computing and telecommunication. This clearly brings about the advantages of information delivery through technological means, since almost all aspects of office work can adequately be taken care of.
Aronu (2000) defines Information Technology as the combination of two technologies, computing and the main purpose of which is to transmit representation of information signals between remote locations.
Statement of the Problem
Office Managers in banking sectorsin Nigeria are scared of losing their jobs due to the advent of information technology. Never the less, Information technology when properly implemented in an organization will bring about productivity and easy flow of information, effective production delivery services to customers.
Unfortunately, it appears that the introduction of information technology seems to pose some problem to office managers.
Office Managers in banking sector in Nigeria, seems to be scared of losing their jobs because some of them are inexperienced in the use of modern gadgets such as facsimile Transfer (FAX), video conferencing. As a result of this it has created fear and instability in the office managers as it seems as if most of them are looking for alternative jobs.
The introduction of technology in the banking sectors in Nigeria would bring about improved performance, but it appears to be at a very high cost-that is the cost of maintenance of equipment and services.
Purpose of the Study
The aim of the study is to find the effect of Information Technology on the performance of the office Manager. The specific objectives of the study are to:-
1. To establish the contributions of Information Technology towards efficient performance of the office manager.
2. To determine the causes of non adaptation of Information Technology in the banking sectors by office managers.
3. To determine the implications of poor Information Technology applications among office managers in the banking sector.
4. To identify ways necessary to address issues of Information Technology among office managers in the banking sector.
1.4 Research Question
1. What is the contribution of Information Technology to the performance of the managers in the banking sector?
2. What factors affect the non adaptation of Information Technology among office managers in the banking sector?
3. What is the implication of non- application of Information Technology in banking sector?
4. What strategies are necessary for addressing issues of Information Technology among office managers in the banking sector?
1.5 Significance of the Study
1. Organization: The study will help treat and improve some existing theories on Information as they apply to organizations as well as the office professionals in the areas of human resources management. It has also become a vital and integral part of every business plan .It will also help organization to improve the way they design and manage customer relationships.
2. Further Research: It is also hoped that the findings of this study will contribute to the existing knowledge and information in the area of research.
3. Office Practitioners: The significance of this research work is immeasurable both to the practitioners, office professionals, chief executives, personnel managers, the management of the organizations and the public at large. It is expected that the findings and recommendations of the study will guide the area of study to consider introducing information technology for their office professional efficiency and other human resources departments for effective administration of personnel matters.
4. Students: The study will be useful to student who may wish to write or make some research on a similar topic using this as a point of reference and to reorient them towards their profession, future research or practical endeavors
1.6 Scope of the Study
The study covers some aspects of information technology on the performance of the office managers, which include the need for the contribution of IT, factors affecting the adaptation of Information Technology, the implication of non adaptation and strategies necessary to address Information Technology issues in the selected banks.
1.7 Definition of the Terms
1.7.1 Information: This is a data that has been processed and can be used per decision-making.
1.7.2 Technology: The purposeful application of information in the design, production, and utilization of goods and services, and in the organization of human activities.
1.7.3 Profession: paid occupation, especially one that requires advanced education and training.
1.7.4 Equipment: tools or machinery used for specific purposes.
1.7.5 Information Technology: Is the useful desired form into which data is finally transformed, after undergoing series of processes and can be used for decision making. Technologies of computing and communication both merge together and used by people for the information needs of an organization.
1.7.6 Personnel: The body of persons employed by or activities in an organization, business, or service.
1.7.7 Office: Can be a place where information are on paper converges and information is documented, preserved and used for current and future operations or business.
1.7.8 Administrator/Office Manager: Is a person or somebody who is tasked with the responsibility or directing and controlling the work and staff of a business or department within it.
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5.1 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
Most financial institution in Nigeria are revolutionizing their operations through the use of computers since they have come to realize the fact that computerized banks enjoy faster, more accurate accounting devices, more organized data handling, facilities utilization among others. In light of the above, this study was set up to identify the impact of information technology on the banking operations at Guaranty Trust Bank and know how the computerization exercise has affected the bank customers. This was done through two sets of questionnaires administered to the staff and customers of the bank. In addition, very personal interviews were also granted to some management staff and customers to elicit further information. Among other things, the major finding of the study showed the computerization has advantage on reducing service deliver and customer’s queue and thereby increasing customer’s satisfaction, the base of customer’s satisfaction could therefore be traced to reduced waiting time, innovative new products and services, internationalization of the banks, speedier and more efficient services among others are the benefits accrued to computer application in the banking action of GT Bank..
Apart from the customer’s satisfaction, staff satisfaction through ease of their job and early closing has been ensured through application of the information technologies. Computer has been of immense benefit to staff and customers of GT Bank... It increased the satisfaction of both the customers and staff alike and this benefits the organization at large.
The study has shown that information technology is extremely important in the present and in the future banking operations. Though, it can be extremely dangerous when confidential datas creeps in to the wrong hands, but the fact still remains that the pay offs in adopting information technology obviously surpass the shortcomings. We have accepted the unpleasant truth that Nigerians are still far behind the advanced countries of the world in the employment of computer technology to solve management and operational problems in the banking system, but given the attitude of the Nigerian bank management to computerization it may not be too long before we narrow the gap. However, we should attempt to move faster than the present pace and make full use of available technology to solve our numerous operational problems in the banks so that in the end, the management of the bank and the customers will be pleased with the premium received in the form of customer satisfaction and on the other prospective contributions to the profitability of the banking industry in Nigeria.
It therefore become important that technology changes such as the introduction of computer in organization should carefully be evaluated so that the gains in technical efficiency are not made at the expense of the well being integration of the employees. Tremendous opportunities exist for Nigerian financial market to embrace the current digital revolution in order to create and grow new products and services through business solutions. The development of information and communication technology has altered the landscape of Nigerian financial market and has become the strategic resource for achieving competitive advantage in 21st century digital economy. Information technology is designed for the orderly and systematic procurement, transfer, storage and conversions of data which will reduce time, effort, cost and increase the utility of information for decision makers. This information reduces the cost of decision making because relevant information is not lacking. Information technology has increased ability to make sound decisions involving complex combinations of factors and doing so rapidly. It makes available reliable, concise and routine information in an organization which in turn leads to such benefits as good decision and confidence of the decision-maker. It also assures good judgment since the judgments are based on hard facts and figures.
It is pertinent that information technology has affected and will continue to have impact on decision making in every field of human endeavour most especially with the increase in use and development of various information technology architectural components.
In summary, this study has been able to identify a good prospect for information technology in Nigeria financial sector. Some to the impact of information technology has on the operations of commercial banks has identified by this study includes:
1. Information technology has increased the customer’s satisfaction going by the product and facilities available to regain customer’s loyalty.
2. Information technology has increased the operational efficiency of commercial banks as less time is required to carry out more transaction.
3. The application of information technology has impacted positively on the customer base of the bank and by so doing gives the bank a competitive edge over its competitors.
4. It has drastically reduced the running cost and expenses incurred by the banks. This leads to a resultant increase in the banks revenue.
5. It ushered in a swift response in service delivery.
6. It eases and provides various sources of acquiring information in the bank.
In view of the findings from the research, the following recommendations were made:
1. The government should accelerate actions that will create an enabling environment in order to stimulate growth in the banking sector.
2. Government should lower the tariff on information technology aided tools and equipments imported should be subsidized by government. Even better, government should partner with multinational companies abroad to supply equipments to Nigerian bank directly at discounted rate.
3. All banks should utilize information technologies to render services that meet the genuine needs of the customers and if there’s change in the customer lifestyle, the banks should change along rapidly.
4. Given that information technology facilities depend largely on electric power supply, without a good power source, it becomes very difficult to maintain computer and other information technology equipments used by the banks. Hence the government and other private sector investors should focus on improve and provide different sources of energy that would complement the current power supply.
5. The regulatory agencies should upgrade their information technologies constantly so as to align with the rapidly developing private sector banking innovation pace.
6. The Nigerian government should strive harder by encouraging local Information technology firms and companies towards meeting up the need of the 21st century state of the earth information technology requirement of the country..