THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE VARIOUS MATERIAL AND PROCESS USED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF ROAD PAVEMENT AND THE FAILURE CHARACTERISTICS
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The road is an infrastructure with a lifespan that allows the movement of people and goods from one point to another by various means of transportation at any time, at a given cost, and under conditions of comfort and security.
Road construction always faces the problem of cost, because hung financial resources are generally required to acquire equipment and various materials such as graded aggregate, laterite, tar, or asphalt, timber, concrete, steel, and others. Where good borrow materials are not always found near the site, many trucks trips from suitable borrow pits are made every day on road construction sites, rendering the projects more expensive. In order to save cost, there is a need to improve the materials found on the site use for pavement structures.
The overall objective of this work is to provide a ratio for improving the bearing capacity, determination of moisture content, compaction test, sieve analysis or (gradation), Atterberg limit, and California Bearing Ratio (CBR). This will determine the strength of various pavement layers.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Generally, soil formation within the main campus of the University of Uyo is considered poor. The end result is potholes etc. A direct consequence could be listed as follows:
(1) Increase in faulty vehicles
(2) Wastage in productive journey time
(3) Traffic congestion
(4) The nature of the road is a veritable source of the erosion of the soil on the roadway. The nature of the roads results in the deformation of the roadway like pot holes, and cracks in some cases complete scraping of the roadway.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
1. This study aims at investigating the road failure characteristics of the main campus formation.
2. Equally, the study will establish the behavior pattern of the soil on compaction.
3. The investigation of the pavement design of the road.
4. Investigation of the road maintenance system.
5. This study generally reduced the cost of construction and shortens the time used in the execution of any road construction done within the University of Uyo main campus vicinity and its environs.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The outcome of this work will serve as a future reference on the defect of the University of Uyo main campus laterite. Researchers, individuals, students, government, and non-governmental organizations will be aware of the type of material to be used during road construction.
1.5 SCOPE OF STUDY
This study will be limited to the following area:
i. Only the main campus of the University of Uyo will be considered.
ii. Laboratory analysis of the samples obtained from the field will be carried out to determine the parameters..